Gas Fireplace Safety Tips
Heating your home with a gas fireplace is efficient, economical and attractive. It also gives your space a cozy and warm feeling that encourages family and friends to gather together. However, gas is a combustible substance, and it is also toxic, so it is very important that you familiarize family members with how the gas fireplace works and how to stay safe while the unit is in operation. It is vital that you have the unit maintained professionally at least once a year, preferably in the autumn, so that any repairs can be made before winter sets in.
One of the most important things to teach family, friends, babysitters, pet sitters, cleaners and anyone else who might be using the fireplace is how to use it properly. Before you allow anyone in your home to turn on the unit, make sure that you show them how to turn it safely on and off and how to troubleshoot or problems in case of an emergency. Also, you should review the following safety measures with every person that might be using it.
Here are five more gas fireplace safety tips:
1 – Watch Out For Damaged Units
Never turn the gas fireplace on if the glass is cracked or if any other part of the unit is damaged. Cracked glass can leak gas, possibly causing carbon monoxide poisoning. Avoid using a unit with a damaged thermometer as that can make it hard for you to tell if the furnace is turned on or off. If your fireplace is damaged contact a qualified heating contractor immediately!
2 – Hands Off
Don’t touch any part of the fireplace while it is in operation. The glass and metal parts of the fireplace are very hot and touching them can burn the skin. Be sure to keep children and pets from accidentally touching or brushing against the unit’s heated glass front. If you have young children, a barrier is recommended.
3 – Keep Flammable Items Away
Keep flammable materials away from the fireplace. Newspapers, magazines, pet beds, rugs, and clothing can ignite if placed too close to the hot fireplace. Don’t touch the outside of the gas fireplace for at least an hour after it has been turned off. Touching the unit before it cools down can cause burns.
4 – Be Mindful About Cleaning
Don’t try to clean a fireplace until it is completely cool. If you try to use water on a fireplace that still has hot glass, it could crack and allow gas to escape into your home.
5 – Never Leave the House Before Turning it Off
Make sure that your fireplace is turned off completely before you go out. A gas fireplace should never be left burning unattended when you are not home.
A little bit of annual maintenance also goes a long way to keep your unit safe for all to use, preventing sudden combustions due to dirt or the dangerous degeneration of the gas log set inserts that can cause indoor air pollution.
Gas Fireplace Safety, Service, and Repair
Hiring a professional to perform regular gas fireplace safety service and repair is a good idea to make sure that it is always running at optimum levels. A qualified gas fireplace inspector makes sure that the glass is not cracked or chipped. There will also be an inspection of the ignition mechanism to make sure the gas fireplace is working correctly as well as clean up any dirty parts or vents that might be affecting the unit’s efficiency. A certified gas technician can also help you install a carbon monoxide detector, which can help detect a malfunctioning gas fireplace. If you are in need of a heating contractor in Timmins or fireplace service, repair or replacement, contact RHMH Heating and Air Conditioning today.