How do I know when it’s time to replace my air conditioner?
If properly maintained, an air conditioning unit should last approximately 10 years, here are some signs that your AC unit should be replaced:
- constant repairs
- your house isn’t cool enough in the summer
- increasing electricity bill
A new AC unit will be quieter, more efficient and will save you money in the long run. Please contact us to review your options to replace that old air conditioning unit.
How do I extend the life of my AIR CONDITIONER?
Regular maintenance is vital to maximizing the life of your AC unit. This should include cleaning or replacing your filters each spring, as well as scheduling ongoing maintenance by a licensed HVAC technician. Also, here are some day to day tips that will extend the life of your AC unit and reduce your electricity bill:
- close your curtains and blinds during the day to limit sunlight.
- keep windows and doors closed so that the hot air does not come in.
- when it’s extremely hot outside, raise the temperature of your thermostat a few degrees (you won’t even notice).
What is ductless air conditioning and is it a GOOD OPTION FOR ME?
A ductless air conditioner is a premium unit that does not sit in your window or plug into a wall outlet. The system is hung on the wall, but is wired just like a central air conditioning system.
Advantages to a Ductless AC System:
- It can easily be placed in a home that currently uses a boiler (without ductwork), reducing installation costs.
- Uses less energy to cool your home, reducing your utility bill.
- Most units can be used as a secondary heat source for winter.
- Can be used in spaces that won’t cool (or heat) the way you want it to, without upgrading your entire HVAC system.
Please contact us to learn more about ductless AC systems.
What size/type of heating or air conditioning system do I need FOR MY HOME?
Several factors determine the size and type of heating or air conditioning unit for a home. These factors include:
- square footage of home
- age of home
- the direction your home faces
- ceiling height
- installation factors
- number of people that live in the house
- number of windows
- existing heating and/or cooling system
A heating and air conditioning assessment should be done by an experienced HVAC professional. Please contact us for a free quote.
What is an ENERGY STAR® label and why IS IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE?
An ENERGY STAR certification is earned when certain products meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Natural Resources Canada. By choosing ENERGY STAR certified heating and cooling equipment, you can enhance the comfort of your home while saving energy. Saving energy helps you save money on utility bills and protect the climate by reducing greenhouse gas emissions. ENERGY STAR certified boilers with an Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (A.F.U.E.) rating starting at 87% are considered to be energy efficient. If your equipment does not have an ENERGY STAR label on it, it may be using more energy than is necessary, ultimately costing you more money.
How long does a gas FURNACE LAST?
A natural gas furnace has useful life of 15-20 years (or longer) if it was properly installed and is regularly maintained.
Why should I replace my furnace before it BREAKS DOWN?
If you have an old furnace, it’s probably costing you money. Furnaces sometimes deliver only 55% of their heat to your home, while a new high-efficiency natural gas furnace may deliver up to 98%. A new natural gas furnace will save you money, plus save you from the inconvenience of a breakdown, causing you to have no heat during a cold winter’s day.